Make it really tough for someone who is trying to get access to your Hotmail account. You can simply do so by setting up two steps verification. In this article, we will show you how you can do this!
What Is Two Steps Verification?
Two steps verification is also referred to as two-factor authentication. For the ease, it is also abbreviated as 2FA. The 2FA is an advanced security layer which helps you make it difficult for the hacker to gain access to your Microsoft account.
This security layer includes Outlook.com as all the Microsoft services connect through this account. It would be impossible for the hacker to break into your account even if he has guessed your password correctly. Why? Well, this is because he will have to pass through another form of authentication.
There are three ways offered by Microsoft that can help you set up 2FA. You can make use of your phone number, a secondary email address or you also have the option to configure an authenticator application.
Once you are done with the second authentication process, each time you will try to log-in your account from a new device or location, you will first need to enter a security code to prove that it is really you. Now let’s get onto the steps that can help you set up this second layer of security to prevent strangers from gaining access to your Hotmail account.
How Can You Enable Hotmail Two-Steps Verification?
- First, log-in the account > in the upper right corner, click on your profile picture/name to access your account access options > select View Account. A new tab will open.
- Now look for the Security box in the top header. After clicking on the Security option, you will be taken to another page where you can take different actions. Now, search the link for more security options at the bottom of the page and click on it.
- In the opened page you will get to know more about two-factor authentications, or you can simply jump to activate it for your account. Click on the link titled Set up two steps verification. After clicking on the link, you’ll be taken through the next steps that are helpful in setting up 2FA and making your account more secure.
- Here, select which device you are using and click on Next.
- You will be prompted to download the Microsoft authenticator application if you are utilizing a Macintosh system and have an iPhone. If you are utilizing some other device, then you might get different prompts.
- Once you have downloaded the authenticator app on your device, you will then have to enter an email account to connect with and will obtain a code. After receiving the code, enter it on the screen, and your account is secured with two-factor authentication.
How Can You Set Up Microsoft Authenticator App?
- First, install the application from the Store.
- Once installed, open it.
- Enter your Microsoft account details.
- Once you are done setting it up, tap on Next button.
The next time you will sign-in to your account, you can easily verify who you are with this application.